Wednesday, March 12, 2008

My days

Usually family blogs tell all the exciting things each family is doing, making every mom look like a superhero. Our blog isn't that kind of blog. (Of course it isn't because I am not that kind of mom, I just don't want to brag.) Instead of our accomplishments, I thought I would share one of our recent failures.

Last Friday I took The Prince and the little baby to Barnes and Noble. Boy was that a mistake. I just thought we would be in and out. I knew exactly what I wanted to buy--Persuasion. It wasn't going to take long. We could spend some time looking at children's books, too. What was I thinking? Can you go anywhere with a toddler and a newborn without it taking long? My big downfall was I failed to take into account the escalator factor. Let me set the scene: It was a beautiful day, but (mistake number 1) The Prince and I were wearing warm coats. We got out of the car and I carried the baby in the car seat and held The Prince's hand through the parking lot. I did not bring a stroller (mistake number 2). Yet, I managed to get us all into the store with little trouble. As soon as we got through the doors, The Prince bolts for the escalators. We did about 6 circuits up and down the escalator. It is a narrow escalator so I had to hold the baby the whole time and, for safety, I kept a hold of The Prince's hand. The car seat gets heavy very quickly. Luckily, Persuasion was on the rack directly between the up and down escalators. I grabbed it without missing a beat. Leaving was a major trial. The Prince didn't want to leave the escalators. Checking out was terrible. I had to hold The Prince under one arm. He started pulling my hair and everything. Navigating the parking lot was even worse. At first The Prince held my hand and all was going well. Then his coat falls off; mine is already off because I was getting too hot hauling the baby. Half way up the hill to the car The Prince decides he wants to go it alone. Of course, I won't let that happen. I grab him and try to carry him, while he is pushing and squirming and generally trying to hurt me, and the baby along with our two coats, my purse, and my purchase. To top it off, I am still wearing my maternity pants and, unfortunately, these are the ones that are constantly falling down. I don't know how low my pants got; I hope I didn't looked like a penguin. Everyone was watching me struggle, and finally another mother asked if she could help. At that point, I had made it to the car. I was so frustrated. I would love to hear some suggestions on how to discipline a toddler in public.

7 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

Wow, I could have pulled that page out of a day in the life of me no problem. I can totally feel your pain.

I still have painful flashbacks of taking my redheads to IKEA to get a Christmas Tree one year. This gorgeous business lady with her Prada bag and $600 boots stopped to help me get to the car with a Christmas tree and two screaming toddlers. I felt SO stupid.

Hang in there girl. You can do it. The only way is through it.

natali said...

i recommend threatening him with more hair cuts from his dad....

Tin said...

Update: Captain Fabuloso decided to take The Prince to Barnes & Noble Saturday. He had a similar experience. So funny. Someone stopped him to ask if he needed help, too. Captain F didn't even bother to make his purchase. He was lucky he didn't have two kids, two coats, and two bags as well.

KickButtMommy said...

Don't forget the car seat!

Jodi said...

the only suggestion is to not go shopping with a toddler. but you did paint a pretty picture. i especially enjoyed picturing you with your penguin pants. i'm still chuckling about it, but relieved that i'm not the only one experiencing these difficulties...

Heather said...

You have me in stiches! I've totally been there, the exact same scene. I've decided that toddlers must be here to teach us patience and humility. A couple of weeks ago I dragged Bryant out of sacrament meeting. I was holding him out, away from my body as his body was failing in angry convulsions. It was so embarrassing!

Heather said...

You have me in stiches! I've totally been there, the exact same scene. I've decided that toddlers must be here to teach us patience and humility. A couple of weeks ago I dragged Bryant out of sacrament meeting. I was holding him out, away from my body as his body was failing in angry convulsions. It was so embarrassing!